So I’ve had a few questions on if I’ve thought about future career plans since starting placement. The helpful things about placement is that each one helps me realise what i don’t want to go in to. For example, after 7 weeks of surgery I’m 100% sure I’m not made to be a surgeon 😂. Something I’ve always been super interested in is Psychiatry as I’ve done a lot of reading around it, but sadly my university doesn’t do a super long Psych placement. I’ve still got a lot of specialities to get in to, and I might change my mind as I go along - Paediatrics is also looking really cool. I don’t put too much pressure on what I’ll pick though - life has a lot of twists and turns so I’m just going to enjoy the ride in the meantime 🤗.
Do you have specific plans for the future?
I’m a social ecologist at heart when I think about our work as psychologists, and Bronfenbrenner’s bio-ecological model of human embeddedness has become an incontrovertible set of truths about human psychology. Today I’m giving a 5-hour guest lecture (yep, 5 hours 🙃) on the mental health of LGBT youth. I know these advanced grad students will be expecting primarily “what do I do in session with these kids” but their fundamentals of therapeutic relationship and alliance already learned are at the heart of that answer.
What they really need to be thinking about and will hear from me today is about how to change the systems these LGBT kids are embedded within. For example, school policy is an ecosystemic variable psychologists must work to change with their knowledge, skills, and scientific acumen.
Take for example that lesbian and gay youth living in counties with fewer sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI)-specific anti-bullying policies are twice as likely to report past-year suicide attempts than youth living in areas where these policies were more commonplace (Hatzenbuehler & Keyes 2013). Change must not merely be in the psychotherapy office. It is impossible to be a psychologist and not be political. #adleruniversity#bronfenbrenner#socialecology#lgbtyouth#lgbtlivesmatter#protectlgbtyouth#queeryouthofcolor#supportqueeryouth#clinicalpsychology#university#universitylife#queernarratives#gay#lesbian#bisexual#transgender#life#love#instagood#policy#instagay#gaysofinstagram#professorsofinstagram
SERVIZIO GRATUITO - ISCRIZIONI “TOP UNIVERSITIES” A LONDRA.
NON E' RICHIESTO IELTS PER L’ISCRIZIONE!
SCEGLI IL CORSO E CHIAMAMI! +447470950905 ♦️TRIENNALI
• BA (Hons) International Tourism Management with Foundation Year
• BA (Hons) Events Management with Foundation Year
• BSc – Marketing • BSc – Computing Technologies • BSc – Business Management
• BSc – Business Management and Entrepreneurship • BA – Business Management (Healthcare) Extended • BSc – Accounting Extended ♦️MAGISTRALI
• (MBA) – Master of Business Administration – International
• MBA – Health and Social Care
• (MBA) – International Project Management 1 year
• MBA Hospitality
• MSc International Marketing
• MBA • MSc – Business with Marketing Management • MSc – Business Human Resource Management • MSc – Business and Entrepreneurship
• MSc – Business with Financial Management • MSc – Business with International Management
• MA – Design Management • MSc – Cyber Security • MSc – Cyber Security Technology
• MSc – Computing & Information Technology • MSc – Computing & Technology • MSc – Digital Marketing • MSc -International Business (+Pre-master)
• MSc – Marketing (+Pre-master)
• MSc – Project Manager • MSc – Global Logistics, Operations and Supply Chain Management
• MA – Luxury Brand Management
• MSc Web and Mobile Development Technologies
• MSc Information Security Management ♦️Top-Up Degrees
• BSc (Hons) Applied Computing (Top-Up) • BA (Hons) Business (Top-Up) • BA (Hons) International Banking & Finance (Top-Up)
• BA (Hons) Business Enterprise, Creation and Management (Top-Up) • BA (Hons) Business Management (Top Up)
• BA (Hons) Hospitality Management (Top Up)